[jetty-users] Question about Jetty SNI functionality

We have been using Jetty SNI support for years now and are very happy with it. We prefer not to do HTTPS offloading and have the Java server process handle everything. Jetty takes care of this brilliantly.

I do have a question though: is there any way to provide the server with the certificates to be used for SNI handling other than having them all in a single key store file? Something like a directory with key store files or perhaps even an array with File objects or something like that?

We currently manage ~100 certificates and managing them all using a single key store file has become quite cumbersome. Different domain names are mapped to different multi-tenant servers and these mappings regularly change. We would prefer to assemble only the needed certificates in each (embedded) Jetty instance but since that would mean we would somehow have to generate key stores on the fly we use a single key store that holds all possible certs.

Besides being wasteful this also precludes generically allowing non-SNI clients on servers that manage one single domain. Non-SNI clients are not really a thing anymore but we have some clients who are worried about Qualys SSL-check noting that their application only works for clients that support SNI.

Cheers,

Silvio

Back to the top