Re: [jetty-users] org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpField

Per the spec you linked ...

     ETag       = entity-tag

     entity-tag = [ weak ] opaque-tag
     weak       = %x57.2F ; "W/", case-sensitive
     opaque-tag = DQUOTE *etagc DQUOTE
     etagc      = %x21 / %x23-7E / obs-text
                ; VCHAR except double quotes, plus obs-text

That means the "ETag" field is an "entity-tag"
Which can start with an optional "weak", and must have an "opaque-tag"

The definition fo "weak" is that it is always the 2 characters "W/" and the case must be preserved.

The "opaque-tag" is almost the same as what the http/1.1 spec level "quoted-string" definition is.
Except that it doesn't allow space character.

Greg, what's you take on this?
This would mean a new Special Case handling for a field value that isn't "Set-Cookie".
There's some accepted errata published after RFC7232 about ETag, but only related to space in etagc.
No errata on RFC7230 about other special case handling of field-values.

Joakim Erdfelt / joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 4:07 PM Cantor, Scott <cantor.2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/29/20, 4:54 PM, "jetty-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Joakim Erdfelt" <jetty-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    Your Example 2:
>    If-Match: W/"ab3>5ef1bc78", W/"5be73a9c523"
>
 >   This is a field of name "If-Match".
 >   It has 2 values, both of which are in violation of the spec.

Am I missing something? That middle one seems to explicitly match your examples that you think are in violation...

(I don't mean to barge into the thread, but I have some uses of ETag in our code stack and I want to be able to accurately assess how we're using it.)

-- Scott