Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 9.4.24 prints warning messages to stderr

Silvio,

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:15 AM Silvio Bierman
<sbierman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> At this moment we are receiving multiple error reports from users who suffer from malfunctioning user interfaces. We already had received some of those before the weekend but I did not link this to our move to 9.4.24. Now a pattern is emerging.
> They are mostly from Firefox users but some come from Safari users. The symptoms are consistently similar: missing images, unstyled content, parts of content missing etc.
>
> We will probably have to revert to the previous Jetty version we where running (9.4.20) to make sure we do not pick one that behaves the same. In the meantime I would be happy to do any testing if you would require so.

The stack trace shows clearly that it's the client sending a reset to
the server, and that is logged at WARN level; we can certainly improve
the logging as EofException should not be logged at WARN level.

One thing that should mitigate the issue for now is to set

HttpConfiguration.notifyRemoteAsyncErrors = false

This can be done either in code or with an XML snippet, depending on
how you start Jetty.
This flag basically says whether async remote errors such as a client
resetting a HTTP/2 stream are reported to the server.
This flag is true by default, and the only thing that happens is the
the failure is logged, so functionality wise it's similar to a
no-operation.

Now, why the client resets the stream is what we should figure out.
Sometimes they do it because they attempt a request, but then they
don't care anymore, and so that is entirely ignorable by the server.

If possible, we would like to have more information.

A) Can you take some information on the client as to what is exactly
the failure for those missing images, missing CSS, etc? What does the
Firefox console say about those requests? They remain pending? You get
back an error? If so, what error?
B) Can you enable DEBUG logging on the server for few seconds/minutes
while this is happening? This can be done via JMX if you're using
Jetty logging, or via some other tool/facility depending on the
logging library that you're using.

I have Firefox 70.0.1 on Ubuntu and I don't see any problem with our
own websites that run Jetty (in particular https://webtide.com). Do
you see problems hitting webtide.com?

--
Simone Bordet