Re: [jetty-users] Continuous stopping/starting of WebAppContext

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Jan Bartel <janb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nils,

For development, many people choose to use maven. In which case, they
use the jetty-maven-plugin, which is specifically set up to do hot
replacement of files. Static files do not cause context restarts

It most certainly does on 9.1.5, using the default jetty-deploy.xml.

, only
changes to compiled files

And conversely it does not for changed class files.

, or configuration files such as web.xml, the
pom.xml etc.  Here's the doc link for it:

The jetty hot deployer does not distinguish between static and
compiled files - if any file in a monitored directory changed,

Wait, what? Doesn't that contradict what you wrote above about static files?

BTW, I'm developing on Windows, so maybe that could explain something?

then it
redeploys.  Maybe open a bugzilla for an enhancement that could select
more files to ignore for redeployment (ie .html, .css, js etc etc) ...

Jan

On 11 May 2014 23:12, Nils Kilden-Pedersen <nilskp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I’ve noticed that, during development, whenever I save a file, e.g. a
> _javascript_ file, Jetty restarts the context. In the logs it looks like this:
>
> 302582 [Scanner-0] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler  -
> Stopped
> o.e.j.w.WebAppContext@7ee398b4{/,file:/C:/Users/Nils/jetty/webapps/ROOT/,UNAVAILABLE}{C:\Users\Nils\jetty\webapps\ROOT}
> 303041 [Scanner-0] INFO  org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler  -
> Started
> o.e.j.w.WebAppContext@5807bb89{/,file:/C:/Users/Nils/jetty/webapps/ROOT/,AVAILABLE}{C:\Users\Nils\jetty\webapps\ROOT}
>
> Why is this happening and, more importantly, how do I make it stop?
>
> Thanks,
> Nils

Jan Bartel <janb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
www.webtide.com
'Expert Jetty/CometD developer,production,operations advice'