Re: [jetty-users] Incorrect encoding with .tag file

Replied here ...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14757056/tag-file-encoding-with-jetty/14773206#14773206

--
Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Developer advice, services and support

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Olivier Bourgain <obn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When I put non ascii letters in a .tag file, those letters are not correctly encoded.
My application runs on jetty 8.1.4.

If a .tag file contains `é`, it will appears in the resulting HTML page as `é`.
When I put the same letter in a JSP file, it gets correctly displayed. If I pass the same character as a parameter to the tag, it gets correctly displayed.
The encoding of the .tag file is UTF-8. The result page is also encoded in UTF-8. I've the same problem when running the application from Eclipse on ubuntu, or when deploying the tag in a jar on a debian server.

I've checket the .tag file, and the `é` is correctly encoded as C3 A9.

I checked the java file generated by jetty for the tag, and the `é` get transformed into :
   out.write('Ã');
   out.write('©');

When viewed in hex, the Ã is C3 83 and the © is C2 A9, which is exactly what I receive in the browser.

So it looks like the encoding is wrong when the tag is precompiled into the java class.

Can I force the encoding at the compilation step, or specify the encoding in the .tag file ?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Olivier Bourgain