Re: [jetty-dev] Trying to make sense of slow server response times

Did you take a look at the benchmark? I wrote three JMH benchmarks:

- one only calls the work method (calculates the array sum)
- one queries against a dummy servlet that returns a constant value
- one queries against a servlet that calls the work method

Calling only the work method is fast. Calling the work method via the servlet is slow. So Jetty is certainly involved somehow. Calling the dummy servlet only is also fast, so the work method is involved as well. Also the overhead cannot simply be explained by a small GC pause, because the overhead increases when we increase the array size.

I'm not saying there is necessarily something wrong with Jetty, but the problem does not occur when I do not use Jetty.

My current conclusion is that under certain (not too exotic) circumstances using Jetty slows down the worker method by a factor of two. Under other circumstances it at least adds a constant overhead of several ms. I'd like to find out why.