Re: [jetty-dev] Requiring JDK 11 for Jetty 10.x

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 11:13 PM Guillaume Maillard
<guillaume.maillard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Correct/kill me if I am wrong :
> - the garbage collector is not a JDK API but a JVM feature. It will not require changes in Jetty source code.
> - TLS 1.3 is just a String parameter to configure SSLContext, no changes are required in Jetty.
> - JPMS is not compatible with Java 8, but is mainly related to build packaging

Nope. JPMS is about module descriptors in source code that can only be
compiled with JDK 9+, it is about the Module API that we should use to
properly find/scan resources, and it is about verifying that the whole
new behavior of JDK 11 in many areas work with the latest Jetty
release (for example, class loading, resource finding, location of JDK
classes such as javax.transaction.UserTransaction, leveraging the
module system to give users more stable Jetty APIs, etc.).

It is a natural process for projects to advance and require higher and
higher JDK versions.
You can't work with JDK 1.3 and the latest Spring.

We will stay on JDK 8 minimum requirement for Jetty 9.4.x.

For Jetty 10.x, which will be out likely when JDK 12 will be out, I
struggle to find a reason why we should be 4 JDK versions behind and
on an unmaintained JDK 8 version.

--
Simone Bordet
----