Re: [jetty-dev] Requiring JDK 11 for Jetty 10.x

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 4:39 PM Guillaume Maillard
<guillaume.maillard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you eloborate on technical things related to JDK11 ?
> As far I know, the Jetty core doesn't require a big number of "things" from the JDK.

We need to use the Module APIs.
And drop things that we don't want to maintain anymore (such as ALPN for JDK 8).

> A lot of deployment (as ours) use Jetty as embedded webserver and simply implement handlers.
> Why should we switch all our code/build to JDK11 in such cases if no technical reasons could justify it?

You should switch because JDK 8 will be unmaintained by January 2019,
and JDK 9 and 10 are already unmaintained.
So either you remain on a possibly vulnerable JDK version, or you have
a paid JDK 8 version that the Jetty Project does not have access to.
You can stay on Jetty 9.4.x and JDK 8 if you want.

It won't be wise for the Jetty Project to stay on an unmaintained JDK
with its latest release.

--
Simone Bordet
----