Re: [jetty-dev] Jetty-9 and aggregates

>However, having said all that - I do think we can improve the
>aggregates.  Specifically I think:
> + we don't need all the different flavours.  Jetty-all will do fine.

this addresses much of the size issue

> + they should not be built by default with every call to mvn.  I'm OK
>for them to be in a profile or even a separate build (although the
>later is a bit of a faff to keep in lock step).

activated from the release profile is not the best in the world but
better then a separate release step and is probably fine at this stage

> + I'd be OK with not building source and javadoc artefacts - however
>I think that is maven central policy so I guess we had better stick
>with it rather than hack around it.

yeah, if someone is going to consume the aggregate then they should
have access to source and javadoc artifacts as well

In summary, I don't like the aggregate idea, it harkens back to
concepts of days past and java has moved beyond monolithic jars like
this.  But that said, one of them is a lot better then 5 or 6 of them
and cuts down on a lot of the over the top duplication.  Activated
from a release profile breaks the 'build always what you intend to
release' concept but I am fine with that for this one artifact.

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell