Re: [jetty-dev] Fixing our TERRIBLE eclipse oriented build

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:08, Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Seems like at least one of the underlying problems is the lack of clear durability statements around the various eclipse repos.  If there was a strong statement in that area, would that solve your problems? Make it easier?  There has been discussion around retention policies etc for some time.  Perhaps this is an opportunity to make that real?

well, I am not sure that its a lack of clear statements about
durability, i get it that these things don't stay around forever...its
that apparently a dependency goes through a lifecycle of repositories
and can flat out disappear at a particular version along the way.
Take the ejc dependency we have for jsp....that thing was 3.6M# for a
while in some repositories and then changed to 3.6 in another
repository that is a more durable location.  Over the course of weeks
or months, a dependency on some thing in orbit or against the actual
eclipse versions can take quite a while until it appears in a
'durable' repository and in that interim we have to make
releases...and those builds ought to be reproducible out of the
box...not after tracking down what releases have flowed around through
the orbit or eclipse distribution workflow.

tycho will likely address much of this with its p2 support and I hope
that is enough down the road...but for now it is incredibly annoying
to try and build only to then spend 20 minutes or an hour tracking
down where orbit repo's have advanced on to location, version wise and
what artifacts might have been renamed to some new version underneath
you...it doesn't really instill much confidence in the system, feels
more like a big house of cards.

cheers,
jesse