Re: [jetty-dev] Jetty @ codehaus modules

> Modules to Drop
> ---------------
> These are old, unmaintained and nobody seriously uses them
>
>  jetty-html/
>  contrib/jetty-grizzly
>  contrib/jetty-glassfishv3
>  async-jsf-example-webapp/  (there are now other ways)
>  async-webservices-example-webapp/  (unmaintained and rest a simpler
> example)
>  jetty-extra-example-webapp/
>
>  contrib/jetty-gwt (don't think this is needed any more)

+1

> Top level jetty @ codehaus modules.
> -----------------------------------
>
> these will be released separately but with version numbers
> that track Jetty versions. So for each jetty 7.x.y there can be independent
> release of 7.x.y.{0,1,2,3}.  Each can have their own version and
> can be released stand alone (eg you can release a jboss integration
> without release maven etc.).
>
> So each of these will have their own trunk/tag/branches structure
>

>  tests (jetty-test-integration, jetty-test-annotation-webapp,
>         jetty-test-jaas-webapp, jetty-test-jndi-webapp)
>
>  jetty-maven-plugin
>  jetty-jspc-maven-plugin
>  jetty-deb
>  jetty-rpm
>  jetty-win32-service-java
>  jetty-jboss
>  jetty-runner
>

>  jetty-terracotta (jetty-terracotta-session and
> jetty-terracotta-example-webapp)

Agreed, I would change the comment though to each of these modules
releasing separately but they can share the same trunk, tags, and
branches, they would just each define their own tagbase and release
individually a la mojo's at codehaus...much easier to work with that
way.

> Contrib modules
> ---------------
> These modules will be built and released as a group.
> They really could have individual lifecycles but as
> they represent the under-maintained parts of jetty,
> they would probably not be released at all if they
> were independent.
>
> There will be a single  trunk/tag/branches structure
> for all off these.
>

>  contrib/jetty-ant
>  contrib/jetty-java-httpserver  (was j2se6)
>  contrib/jetty-setuid
>  contrib/jetty-xbean
>  contrib/jetty-openspaces
>  contrib/jetty-wadi
>  contrib/jetty-sweeper
>

>  contrib/examples/jetty-spring
>  contrib/examples/spring-ebj3-webapp
>  contrib/examples/async-rest-webapp

Personally I think these ought to get moved over to the setup
described above, get all of these things together into their own flat
space, spare a common parent and each release individually or as small
projects using a nested module structure and the common trunk, tags,
branches..

just reduce the overhead of different trunks and branches, etc...

jetty7 trunk at eclipse
contrib trunk at codehaus with all the above
hightide trunk at codehaus for binding it all together into a proper
distribution

I think all of the installer goop can be dispensed with and rolled
into the hightide distribution...using the unix-maven-plugin and maybe
the app-assembler as well, cut out everything custom we can and reduce
down to components as much as possible....and only interact with
artifacts through the repository at all times..

jesse

Back to the top