[jetty-dev] http://download.eclipse.org/jetty/update-dev

I have initialized an update site project in svn and published the
initial results of it to the above url (which is a p2 update site now)

I experimented with a number of ways to get this thing working and
this is what I have now.

I'll note ahead of time that you have to use eclipse to make this
work.  There is no reasonable solution in maven lands to generate this
beast that I have been able to find.

http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/rt/org.eclipse.jetty/jetty-update-site/trunk

This is the url for the update site in svn...

The process currently is:

* get all artifacts from milestone into a directory
* rename all artifacts (ie jetty-util-7.0.0.M0.jar ->
org.eclipse.jetty.util_7.0.0.M0.jar)
* copy all artifacts to your plugins directory in eclipse
* start instance of eclipse
* import existing eclipse project (the above svn)
* open site.xml in org.eclipse.jetty.update.site
* click Build All
* zip the org.eclipse.jetty.update.site directory
* scp zipfile to dev.eclipse.org
* cp to /home/www/jetty
* unzip
* mv update-dev update-dev.old && mv org.eclipse.jetty.update.site update-dev

it is now deployed

This _should_ work for each milestone we do, putting the updated
milestone jars into the plugins directory in eclipse should have them
pick up and the most recent and update all the goop in the xml files.
I'll confirm as we move forward with milestones and see about getting
some scripting around some of the more onerous parts of the process.

Now, the way I have it organized is open for debate now.  I have
adopted this initial structure for the time being.

org.eclipse.jetty.core.feature -> declares dependency on jetty-util,
jetty-io, and jetty-http
org.eclipse.jetty.server.feature -> declares dependency on
jetty-server, javax.servlet 2.5 && on org.eclipse.jetty.core.feature
org.eclipse.jetty.client.feature -> declares dependency on
jetty-client && org.eclipse.jetty.core.feature
org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.feature -> declares dependency on
jetty-webapp, jetty-deploy, jetty-servlet &&
org.eclipse.jetty.server.feature

I have two categories defined, one for Jetty Core Components which are
the core feature, server feature and client feature.  The other
category is Jetty Optional Components where the things like webapp
feature and others like jndi, etc will reside.

This should allow the users a clean slice at features in jetty they
are interested in working with.  The reason I went through this effort
was two-fold, one is that I figure this is the only way that people in
the eclipse community are going to start consuming jetty for their
usage and second, I needed to have this setup so I could dispense with
copying jars around inside of my jetty eclipse plugins && the http
service we are working on.  Consuming from the update sites seem to be
the default way eclipse people grab stuff so here is hoping we are
getting to get on board that train.

comments are more then welcome

cheers,
jesse