Re: [jdt-dev] [platform-dev] Need some more current pointers for getting started on JDT projects

Answers below

Am 14.08.2019 um 01:24 schrieb rsteiger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
Hi Stephan, Ed, and Lars,
Thanks for the tips and other comments.
I've reviewed the guide you (Stephan) indicated, and in the interests of avoiding drilling more dry holes, will hold-off trying to execute it until after getting some answers to the following question 1.:

 1. Under "Where is the JDT/Core code?", before any mention of EGit, it
    instructs "You need to check out the following projects from
    git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.git". Then under
    "How do I create a Git repository connections?", it says "Go through
    http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform-releng/Git_Workflows to see how to
    set up Egit and create repository connections."   Should this be
    understood to apply to all the prior check-outs? If so, may I
    suggest that this second section be placed above the first, reducing
    the likelihood of wasted effort, self-applied hair removal, and/or
    gnashed teeth?

You might be right. On the other hand. On the other hand if you already managed to "check out the following projects" you won't need the "Git Workflows" until you want to push a change. :) In general following those "checkout this, import that" lists is quite tedious (and I also started with this JDT list). One reason I use Oomph most of the time I setup a new workspace.

 2. If one is familiar with other Git clients, can they be used instead
    of EGit?  Or is using EGit mandatory or at least strongly advised?

Egit is especially useful for fetching or pushing changes from/to Gerrit. But Egit is not mandatory at all and you can use whatever git client you like. There are also instructions at various places (also outside of Eclipse project since Gerrit is no Eclipse specialty) how to push to gerrit with commandline git.

 3. Is provisioning Garrit required at any point prior to pushing fixes?

No.

 4. At the start of a project, is it best practice or the norm to
    create, then work in, a new branch?

If you like. I do most of the time. Just remember (especially if you're used to the GitHub Pull Request workflow) that changes are provided as one commit through Gerrit. So you would squash your branch in the end and provide it as one commit.

Gotta say I'm looking forward to getting a workspace created, especially if doing so is "ridiculously easy" :-).
-rjs

Back to the top