[jdt-dev] Extending Package Explorer capabilities

Title: Extending Package Explorer capabilities

Hi,

I am writing a custom TextEditor and ContentOutliner for some proprietary file types (non java). I would like to have the Package Explorer view, add the structure of these file types to the content outline and the Package Explorer under the specific propritary file. I can see, through the eclipse Java Editor example, how to create the Editor and ContentOutliner, but I can't figure out how to add my custom tree nodes to the Package Explorer view. I realize that the Package Explorer is a part of the JDT and is focused on Java File structure. But I would like to extend it to include my files types, especially since I want to take advance of the fact that the projects I am trying to support will also include Java files.

Does anyone know if this is possible? If yes, can you point me to an example? If not, then do I need to write my own Package Explorer type view. Do you have any suggestions for guidance?

Thanks
Bob

Back to the top