Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] Maintenance Release 8.0.3?

On 3/3/21 10:34 AM, David Blevins wrote:
We're at 99% passing with the Web Profile TCK, down to 187 failures.  We'll definitely have a handful of challenges ourselves, so we'd also support (and could even help create) an 8.0.3.

David, that is awesome that TomEE is passing 99%!  Congratulations on the progress ahead!  Thanks for volunteering also for creating the 8.0.3 service release!  IMO, we should nail down the rules a bit more (based on input given in this thread and from SPEC committee later).

When I did the 9.0.2 service release, I wrote down some notes on what I did via https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/wiki/TCK-Challenge-processing-status.  The notes are brief but they give an outline of the tasks done.

Timing-wise, though, we'd prefer to spend the next couple weeks focused on 9.1 so we can help validate the optional ORB changes.  We could definitely help with an 8.0.3 afterwards.  It wouldn't be immediately after as there would be some time needed to talk through the challenges, but hopefully just a few weeks after.  The 9.1 release is likely to be sometime in April, so perhaps that'd make an 8.0.3 sometime in June.

Olivier, would this timeline work for you?  What do others think?

I think that this is an amazing and timely topic, as when I did the service releases for EE 9, I questioned what the schedule really should be.  I know some projects that will do multiple releases in a short period of time to help others.  I also know some projects that will not release more than once a month.  My take away is that we should decide as a community, what the cadence should be for our TCK service release schedule.

Having said ^ about timeline, the current TCK process does give some guidelines  https://jakarta.ee/committees/specification/tckprocess:

"

Filing a Challenge
*  The exact TCK version
A consensus that a test produces invalid results will result in the exclusion of that test from certification requirements, and an immediate update and release of an official distribution of the TCK including the new exclude list.

"

I quoted some relevant text above, perhaps there can be different interpretations of what it means for filing a challenge against the exact TCK version.  I assume that means that challenges are specific for one exact TCK version.  Does that mean we should have new (Jakarta EE 8 targeted) TCK challenges that duplicate the accepted (Jakarta EE 9) challenges?

From a timeline perspective, is the `immediate update and release of an official distribution of the TCK including the new exclude list` depending on someone to volunteer to do the update/release?  If yes, I think we should ask for a volunteer from TCK committers that aren't currently on critical path for Jakarta EE 9.1.

Thoughts?

Scott