Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] [ejb-dev] How can we best make the EJB30 tests that use Corba optional but still require other non-Corba tests to be run?

Scott,

I can confirm that #1 (remove calls to PortableRemoteObject#narrow) will fail for Open Liberty, so #2 would be the preferred solution.

-Brian

Inactive hide details for Scott Marlow ---02/24/2021 02:58:43 PM---https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.Scott Marlow ---02/24/2021 02:58:43 PM---https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_eclipse-2Dee4j_jakartaee-2Dtck_issue

From: Scott Marlow <smarlow@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ejb developer discussions <ejb-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Cheng Fang <cfang@xxxxxxxxxx>, David Blevins <dblevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jakartaee-tck developer discussions <jakartaee-tck-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02/24/2021 02:58 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] [ejb-dev] How can we best make the EJB30 tests that use Corba optional but still require other non-Corba tests to be run?
Sent by: "jakartaee-tck-dev" <jakartaee-tck-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>

https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/issues/621 is for removing the TCK calls to PortableRemoteObject#narrow or make those calls optional (perhaps similar to https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/pull/620 which could use some

https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/issues/621 is for removing the TCK calls to PortableRemoteObject#narrow or make those calls optional (perhaps similar to https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/pull/620 which could use some more reviews :-)

I think the two possible changes could be something like:

1.  Remove all calls to PortableRemoteObject#narrow and encourage implementations to test the result.
2.  Or keep the call to PortableRemoteObject#narrow but ensure that implementations that do not support Corba can set a system property `ExcludeCorba` (to `true`) to avoid the reference to the PortableRemoteObject class.

Please share your thoughts on which approach is better/safer #1 or #2.  Or maybe you have a #3?

Scott