Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] How to build the Platform TCK to target JDK8 but support running with JDK11?

I really don't understand why Java 8 is optional and 11 is a must. I think compatible implementations may support JDK 8 or later versions. Why do we put such pressure on Java 11?

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 7:26 PM Scott Stark <starksm64@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So frankly it is almost a useless statement to say an EE9 runtime may certify against SE 8 as there is not sufficient commitment to deliver TCKs that support that runtime. How would one even submit a certification request when there is not likely to be a signed TCK binary that they can reference as required by the certification process? One or more parties would have to commit to delivering that for the platform and all individual TCKs.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 10:41 AM Scott Marlow <smarlow@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/30/20 3:39 PM, Kevin Sutter wrote:
> If
> Glassfish is not interested in Java 8, how are we going to determine
> whether the TCK is executable and testable with Java 8?

We will not be able to determine whether the final GlassFish 6.0 release
  passes all tests on Java 8.

> Since the Java
> 8 compliance is optional, is this additional testing and verification
> required before we can claim Jakarta EE 9 is complete?

IMO, we need to question what it is that we want exactly.

1.  One final EE 9 release that includes verification that the TCKs are
executable and testable with Java 8 and Java 11.

2.  A final EE 9 release that includes verification that the TCKs are
executable and testable with Java 11 and a later (Platform 9.1.0 +
respective standalone) minor release that includes verification that the
TCKs are executable and testable with both Java 8 + 11.

> Or, do we wait
> until a vendor tries the Java 8 compliance testing and then work through
> the problems?

Good question, IMO, I think that option #2 above is better, but I defer
to conclusions to be made on platform mailing list discussion and/or
steering committee decisions.

With option #2, if we do come up with a way to test TCKs on Java 8 and
they pass 100% before EE 9 is final, then we will have achieved option
#1 in an unplanned way but that would be best (e.g. we will definitely
consume fewer Jenkins CI resources as well).

> This might get messy if we have to modify some tests
> after we go final with Java 11...

Yes, agreed.  Also, with option #2 above, this will impact some of the
community desire to start reorganizing the 5 million+ lines in the
Platform TCK for EE 10.

> I don't have all the answers.  Just
> questions to think about and figure out before we claim Jakarta EE 9 is
> done...

Thanks Kevin for raising these questions!

Scott