Re: [jakartaee-spec-project-leads] Jakarta NoSQL and Eclipse MicroProfile Configuration

Hi Otavio,

As promised via our chat, I would share my view here.
I totally agree that Configuration is very important for developing cloud-native microservices. It is a best practice in 12-Factor App to make microservice configurable. MicroProfile Config exists for exactly that reason. I strongly recommend to use it.

As for your question of whether it is ok for Jakarta EE to depend on Eclipse MicroProfile Config, I think it is a good idea. Since many people including Adam Bien, myself, etc, seriously think Jakarta EE + MicroProfile are very powerful together and most of time they are needed at the same time, I strongly think it makes sense for Jakarta EE specs also utlising MicroProfile specs such as MicroProfile Config, etc. MicroProfile specs already pull in Jakarta EE specs, such as CDI, JAX-RS, JSON-B and JSON-P. Technically Jakarta EE should be able to pull in MicroProfile specs.

If a lightweight onboarding process is needed to enable MicroProfile specs to be used in Jakarta Specs, I am ok with that. It is very important that MicroProfile and Jakarta continue complementing with each other not competing with each other.

My 2cents.
Emily