Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Jakarta 10.1?

> On Oct 7, 2022, at 1:58 PM, Ondro Mihályi <mihalyi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I like the idea of milestone releases to get to Jakarta EE 11 step by step. But it would require that all individual specs also create milestone releases so that everything is aligned together. And I don't think that's feasible if milestone releases are too frequent. I think we could manage a milestone release every 3-6 months but not more often. But why not try that? E.g. with a milestone scheduled for Q1/2023 that aims for dropping SecurityManager, require Java 17 and support Java 18 or newer?

Milestones would certainly be welcome if project's are up for it.  I know Scott Stark, Kevin and I have mentioned in Spec Committee discussions that these would really help the process.

We have done a few, and some of them did have deadlines associated with them, but there could be value in some regularity.  I think one of the reasons we don't do them very frequently is deciding anything in a large community takes time, so if we're deciding each milestone one at a time, it means they don't frequently happen.

It might be smart to pick a frequency, try it out for a year and revisit at this same time next year.

We could even make it one of our goals in the 2023 program plan which is due in early November.

-David

PS Thank you Arjan for starting this tread -- it's a really fantastic discussion.

Back to the top