Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Why haven't we removed Managed Beans?

+1. It’s definitely just a vestige of the distant past.

From: jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of David Blevins <dblevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2022 8:04 PM
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Why haven't we removed Managed Beans?

On Jun 2, 2022, at 4:37 PM, Scott Stark <starksm64@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So Arjan pointed out there is a relationship between dependency injection and managed beans via a brief mention in the spec. Managed beans really have no purpose with CDI, so why don't we just deprecated and drop it?

I'd be in favor of dropping Managed Beans.

For those who don't have the context, all of this at one point was in JSR-299 CDI (Web Beans at the time).  Disagreements resulted in a JSR-330 Dependency Injection to offer dependency injection without the icky EE stuff and later Managed Beans in hopes of offering one true generic component model.  The details in Managed Beans were intentionally thin and the spec considered somewhat a placeholder for future work.  Both JSR 330 and Managed Beans were never again developed.

We've corrected part of this in Jakarta by having the Dependency Injection spec once again under the control of the CDI project.  We should likely just remove Managed Beans.  As DI and CDI came out in the same Java EE versions as Managed Beans and Managed Beans was intentionally thin so very hard to understand,  I'm not aware of anyone who has actually used it.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Back to the top