Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [External] : Re: Simplifying the platform by merging some specs?

On 3/8/22 8:50 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
The key in this discussion is the goal merging everything would reach.
The only gain I see is to make the release smoother.
The drawbacks I see is to couple more specs quite easily, increase the contribution level (spec becomes more complex by becoming plural, think how easy it is to contribute to an EE server compared to a standalone implementation for ex) and therefore reduce the number of people in the spec and by consequence the quality of the industry covering of the releases. But at the end if it is to merge specs to keep them independent it has no real value IMHO. If it is to really merge them (ex: JSON-P+JSON-B in the same PDF), then it will increase the user entry cost too so reduce the adoption.

there is no PDF for JSONP, so one would need to be created by someone - add that to the overall "cost" of the merge.

Does anything block arbitrary user to create say org.glassfish.jakarta.json with the proposed structure, deploy that to central and advertise that as an entry point to Jakarta EE defined JSON world in Java provided by GlaasFish project? Something like this should also probably come with some "default" implementations to be really useful for end users. (Feel free to replace GlassFish with whatever is preferred, the "default" CI can be whatever the provider of such module decides to use)

thanks,
--lukas

So overall the question from my window is: is the release cost so high? The RC discussion seems to answer that it is "no" so I'm not sure there is a benefit there.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/rmannibucau__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!egoFkUMikujSDC9nytvcPgOeJ93Z4QQMN9SJjZrpyzgFDTZETliRSk-gbvV-xoSZbmU$> | Blog <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!egoFkUMikujSDC9nytvcPgOeJ93Z4QQMN9SJjZrpyzgFDTZETliRSk-gbvV-WvtUSKA$> | Old Blog <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!egoFkUMikujSDC9nytvcPgOeJ93Z4QQMN9SJjZrpyzgFDTZETliRSk-gbvV--tTz2GY$> | Github <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/rmannibucau__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!egoFkUMikujSDC9nytvcPgOeJ93Z4QQMN9SJjZrpyzgFDTZETliRSk-gbvV-DAha-eU$> | LinkedIn <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!egoFkUMikujSDC9nytvcPgOeJ93Z4QQMN9SJjZrpyzgFDTZETliRSk-gbvV--MHBTEk$> | Book <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!egoFkUMikujSDC9nytvcPgOeJ93Z4QQMN9SJjZrpyzgFDTZETliRSk-gbvV-N3CiuuI$>