Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [External] : Re: module-info tests

On 10/8/21 9:01 PM, Thiago Henrique Hupner wrote:
Probably the module itself will not be open, neither any package.

Some packages have to be open but not too many I believe - I'm aware of only one which is in optional spec and is (or at least should have been) open already for few years.

If interested - concrete case is: since Java EE 8 JAXB/XML Binding spec says - and I really mean Java EE and not Jakarta EE:

"If JAXB-annotated classes or packages referenced in context path are defined in a Java Platform Module System (JSR 376) module, they must be open (as specified in javadoc of java.lang.Module#isOpen()) to at least jakarta.xml.bind module." - note at the end of section 4.2 of the spec

XML WS spec includes jakarta.xml.ws.wsaddressing.W3CEndpointReference class which uses XML Binding annotations. So to conform to the requirement defined by XML Binding spec, jakarta.xml.ws.wsaddressing package must be open to jakarta.xml.bind module.

But I don't think any other spec uses XMLB annotations in its APIs...

thanks,
--lukas

However, might be some cases
where the implementation would like to change something in the API. This way, the API jar would be coupled to an specific implementation, but it won't export anything different from any other API jar.

If an implementation wants to use Reflection to fields or get access to something private,
it would open that package to an specific implementation module.
I think it should be allowed. This seems to be used extensively in the JDK itself.