Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [External] : Re: module-info tests

On 10/6/21 11:06 PM, Thiago Henrique Hupner wrote:
Another question would be:

Can an API module include public classes that are not exported?

My answer is no. The reason is: APIs are expected to be the same regardless of whether they are loaded from the classpath or from the module path.

...if the API jar contains public non-exported class and one puts such API jar on the classpath, this public non-exported class becomes accessible to clients leading to different APIs available in different runtime environments. How can this be captured in the javadoc of such API jar? How can one avoid "leaking" this public non-exported class through classpath?

 It
shouldn't be considered part of the API, but I don't know exactly
how the rules apply to an implementation, if it only can use package-private/inner classes to implement the code or if it
can delegate a class in other package that is not part of the API.

But if it is in other package, the class needs to be public. In the JDK there is a lot of API classes that uses public classes in an internal package, like the implementation of java.lang.module.ModuleDescriptor is in jdk.internal.module.ModuleInfo, and it is a public class.

I do not think there is an option to use JDK provided modules via classpath to break the encapsulation there.

thanks,
--lukas