Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [jakarta.ee-spec][jakartaee-spec-project-leads]Automatic Module Names in Jakarta EE 9

Make sure that is reflected in the options. The permissions on the doc should be completely open now.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:11 AM <dmitry.kornilov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with Kevin and Werner. Summary:

  1. Address module-name issues after Jakarta EE 9 release. It makes sense adding it to 9.1 scope together with Java 11 support.
  2. Fix only broken module names for now. Using “java.*” is just wrong!
  3. Remove “.api” in newly added module names because it’s not consistent with other APIs where “.api” is not used.

Thanks,

Dmitry

From: jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Werner Keil
Sent: Wednesday, 22 July 2020 17:01
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Jakarta specification discussions <jakarta.ee-spec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [jakarta.ee-spec][jakartaee-spec-project-leads]Automatic Module Names in Jakarta EE 9

It seems fine to leave that out for now, we agreed that

Implicit automatic module names (no descriptor) are ok for this release, but where automatic-module-name or a full module-info was already declared, they should be in the correct namespace, e.g. "jakarta.servlet" instead of "java.servlet". Plus it’s an absolute no-go IMO to call it "jakarta.servlet" now and suddenly switch to "jakarta.servlet.api" in the next release.

If a component really had ".api" then it should stick to it while it’s part of the platform.

JSP only added this recently, there was no automatic-module-name in Java EE 8 and it seems not before 3.x yet either. Looks like Mark Thomas added it just 3 weeks ago, probably not coordinated with other specs like Servlet.

Werner