From: Scott Stark
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 23:47
To: JakartaEE Spec Project Leadership discussions
Cc: jakartaee-platform developer discussions
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [jakartaee-spec-project-leads]Automatic Module Names in Jakarta EE 9

It has to be addressed in at least 9.1 when requiring Java 11 as at that point you do have modules, even if they are automatic, and we should not be allowing implicit automatic module names in API jars. I think the api in the module name is probably a good thing, but we have some artifact names that seemingly should be shortened to make the module name. For example, the CDI api artifact is jakarta.enterprise.cdi-api-*.jar. The enterprise seems unnecessary and the module name could just be jakarta.cdi.api for example.

We should start updating the naming conventions in preparation for 9.1.