From: Ed Bratt
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2020 17:48
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions; Kevin Sutter
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Fair rules for "optional" TCKcompliance tests

I don't know where to jump in on this thread.

Nothing in the rules says one single product must implement all optional features. I'd like to make two points:

First, what I think the rules and specifications say:

1. If a feature is included in Jakarta EE, it must have a TCK.

2. If a feature in the platform is specified as Optional, the platform that certifies compatibility of that feature must include all other Required features. (This is also true for component specifications, just replace component-name for platform.)

3. If there are multiple independent optional features, nothing says one single implementation must deliver all the separate optional features. There must be one of each, but I believe they can be separate compatible implementations.

Second, the hard dependency Jakarta EE has on Eclipse GlassFish:

Eclipse GlassFish is required today because that's how we build TCKs for 25 for Specs that come from this project. Once the working group and/or API project teams refactor how these TCKs are built and remove the dependency on Eclipse GlassFish, that requirement goes away. This is not a requirement of our rules or specification. It's just a consequence of how the Jakarta EE TCK project implements what it does.

Currently Jakarta EE benefits from Eclipse GlassFish because it implements all features, required or optional. This was a consequence of the previous Reference Implementation concept. Nothing in the Jakarta EE rules forces Eclipse GlassFish to be used this way. On the other hand, Jakarta EE is able to provide degrees of freedom to implementers because Eclipse GlassFish conveniently has those features. This is not a requirement of our rules or specifications. Eclipse GlassFish could be replaced if there were another suitable implementation that fills its place.

-- Ed