Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Fair rules for "optional" TCK compliance tests (was: Inconsistency on the term "pruned")

On Jul 2, 2020, at 11:08 AM, Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Scott,
Even if it doesn't make sense, I think those are the rules...  At least for these initial removed features.  For example, let's pretend the Open Liberty wanted to continue to support J2EE Management after it was removed from Jakarta EE 9.  J2EE Management was originally part of Java EE and under the javax namespace.  Thus, falling under the old rules put in place by the JCP.  If an app server ships the J2EE Management API, then a corresponding implementation which passes the TCK is required.

That's the way that I have always understood the rules concerning Java EE.  Now, if someone can cite an alternate understanding, then I'm happy to be corrected.  Or, maybe something changed since we shipped J2EE Management with Jakarta EE 8?  I didn't think so since it still uses the javax namespace.  Maybe someone from Oracle needs to clarify the requirements?

The Java EE requirement is  that if you ship an an optional API, you would have to pass the standalone TCK if it was added to the platform.  It does not matter whether the platform requires it or not, The API had to be compliant  to the specification that it supported.  There were no exceptions to this from a Java EE perspective.

If you make technologies for example EJB optional, it gets a bit more challenging as there is no standalone TCK (unless one is created) and there is no guarantee the previous TCK would run using a newer JDK.

Best
Lance

(BTW, this is another advantage of moving to the jakarta namespace.  We can define our own rules going forward for removed features post Jakarta EE 9.)

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: