Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Grizzly 3.0 commits

Hi,

I don't know all the details about the Grizzly project but I can offer some history.

Generally, when we contributed the material our primary goal was to contribute what was Java EE 8 and/or GlassFish 5. Grizzly 3 was a prospective update which was in progress when we worked to complete GlassFish 5. I can't see evidence 3.x was ever released, even in preliminary form.

Oracle would need to relicense any code to Eclipse under the EPL/GPL license we use for most everything else. We might need to have an Oracle committer provide specific elements from the 3.0 branch.

One thing to consider is, this work was, effectively halted about several years ago. Since that time changes were applied to Grizzly 2.x and none of that new work would have been merged forward into the 3.0 branch (you can see that in the GH commit summary: (This branch is 1231 commits ahead, 1554 commits behind master.). The readme also cautions that changes for 3.0 may not be compatible with 2.x. I could not vouch for when the branches /really/ diverged. I am fairly confident any work we did specifically for the contribution would not have been ported between the branches.

In many cases (I don't have the specifics of Grizzly in front of me right now), we might not be able to make the contribution if the work requires migration from old libraries that are now known to, or suspected to contain serious defects.

I might be just as easy, if not easier to simply re-implement the features that are in that branch.

If you think there is something that would be useful, we can look into what we could contribute.

Going ahead, if you have a list of specific items from 3.0, let me have a look and I can investigate what is possible. If that isn't feasible I'm open to considering other possibilities.

-- Ed