From:        Kevin Sutter/Rochester/IBM
To:        jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        03/09/2020 08:54
Subject:        Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Understanding a few javax->jakarta        decisions

A FAQ is a great idea.  Easy way to amend the Release Plan without requiring a rev and review.  I will start one and have it ready for a review at tomorrow's Platform call.

(My apologies, but Lotus Notes is just terrible at internet-style replies to emails...  I've embedded my comments below.)

jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/08/2020 08:13:53:

> From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx>

> To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-
> dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Date: 03/08/2020 08:14
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Understanding a few
> javax->jakarta decisions

> Sent by: jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On Saturday, March 7, 2020, Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kevin will tell me if I got this wrong, but...  Here's what I remember...

> Scott Kurz wrote on 3/6/20 1:40 PM:
> Late to the discussion, I wanted to see where we'd settled on the EE
> 9 plan questions (I see some discussion on the various lists)
>
> 1. Whether it is OK to add generic support in EE 9 along with the package move

> It's ok, but you'll need to file your own release plan since you're
> stepping outside what the platform release plan says.

> The way I remember / interpreted it is that returning say Class<?>
> instead of Class is okay, but accepting say Map<String, ?> instead
> of Map is not okay.

> Not saying that is what was decided, but just my personal interpretation.

> Since Jakarta Authentication would need to do the latter, we decided
> not to introduce new generics for Authentication in Jakarta EE 9.

> Kind regards,

> Arjan

I agree with Bill's earlier assessment.  There were too many variables to open this door for Jakarta EE 9.  The base Jakarta EE 9 release plan would not support the introduction of Generics into the APIs.  If a Project desired to introduce Generics, they would be required to create their own Release Plan.

> 2. Whether spec-defined properties should move from javax. to
> jakarta.* (along w/ packages)

> Yes, definitely.

+1, agree.

http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/
> ns/javaee%22)

> Yes, definitely.  I don't think we've decided on the new base
> namespace yet; we're waiting for advice from Eclipse.

+1, agree.  Need to move on this with Eclipse...

https://eclipse-ee4j.github.io/
> jakartaee-platform/jakartaee9/JakartaEE9ReleasePlan

> Seems like we need to start a FAQ!

+1, agree.

Just for completeness, the other item we agreed to allow was the use of @Repeatable for those cases where it was missed during earlier Java EE releases.

Will generate the FAQ and send out a PR shortly...

-- Kevin