Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] VOTE: backward compatibility for descriptor schemas

#3 for me

-----Original Message-----
From: jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Bill Shannon
Sent: 21 January 2020 19:54
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jakartaee-platform-dev] VOTE: backward compatibility for descriptor schemas

After the discussion in today's meeting, I agreed to send out a list of alternatives and ask for votes.  We'll tally the votes and make a decision in next week's meeting.

Here's the alternatives we're considering:

1. Support for Jakarta EE 8 and earlier schemas is *optional* in
   Jakarta EE 9 products.

2. Support for Jakarta EE 8 and earlier schemas is *required* in
   Jakarta EE 9 products.

3. Support for Jakarta EE 8 *but not* earlier schemas is *required* in
   Jakarta EE 9 products; support for schemas earlier than Jakarta EE 8
   is *optional* in Jakarta EE 9 products.

I'm not going to reiterate the pros and cons, but if you have any questions about why or why not to support one of these options, let me know.

Note that the "earlier" criteria can be somewhat confusing since not all schemas were updated in Jakarta EE 8 (really Java EE 8) so some of the "most current" schemas are from Java EE 7 or earlier.  In such cases these would still be considered Jakarta EE 8 schemas.

I'm sure there are other alternatives that are possible, but I don't think we need to make this more complex at this point.

Vote now!  We'll decide next week.

Thanks.