Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] VOTE: Specifications to addinJakartaEE 9

So will Tomitribe make sure to maintain JAXB ? ;-)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Amelia Eiras
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 20:53
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions; erik.brangs@xxxxxx
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] VOTE: Specifications to addinJakartaEE 9

+1 Erik and quote you:

 I think that not providing technologies that were available in Java EE 8 (even if they came from Java SE) is very risky for the future of the project because it runs contrary to the expectations of backwards compatibility that might exist. In my opinion, backwards compatibility is essential and in the special case of Jakarta EE it is not only about what's actually in the specs but also about the perception of changes by the community.

Stated on another thread [linked below] , it seems that the current work being done in Jakarta EE 9 release is not considering carefully the pros & cons. At this time, we don't have the actual data from users, as an ecosystem,  to sustain current desires of what effectively cut or not.  Being patient while doing the work now seems the wisest step forward instead of graving into a whole that cannot be fixed later, Trust is lost via small actions & rarely lost with just 1 action itself. I am wary of what currently is.  I am considering not only the coders but the users as both are core and important for this project's success.

Current methods are pushing on the side of radical steps, that is a red flag in itself for users. Are we really choosing to become that ecosystem?

Erik, you are one great example of  a Jakartee whose arguments are impossible to ignore.

-- The power-of-preparation, POP, from this community cannot be underestimated or deferred. We have now.

The project requires individuals whose arguments are hard to ignore or push around, those who makes us understand our weakness are the most valuable contributors. -- Nov 26th forum Community thread

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 11:32 AM Erik Brangs <erik.brangs@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

On 27.11.2019 19:21, Werner Keil wrote:
> Well it breaks as soon as they run their Java EE 8 compliant app or container in a JDK above Java SE 9, so it is not the fault of Java EE or Jakarta EE in that case.

To me, it does not matter whose fault it is. What matters to me is that it breaks my expectations. I think that not providing technologies that were available in Java EE 8 (even if they came from Java SE) is very risky for the future of the project because it runs contrary to the expectations of backwards compatibility that might exist. In my opinion, backwards compatibility is essential and in the special case of Jakarta EE it is not only about what's actually in the specs but also about the perception of changes by the community.

> Offering this in a way that allows applications to use it but not necessarily blow up the Full Jakarta EE stack more (instead of also removing stuff) Sounds reasonable.

A more comprehensive Full Jakarta EE profile is an asset from my point of view. The more technologies it contains, the more functionality I can implement in pure Jakarta EE without having to rely on external libraries.

I'd prefer more profiles with a reduced set (e.g. "Cloud" or "Opinionated REST") over a smaller full profile. A newer, bigger profile (e.g. "Everything but the kitchen sink") would also be fine with me. However, AFAIK Jakarta EE 9 won't contain any new profiles so what's important for me is what is in the full profile.

Kind regards,

Erik Brangs