Von: jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Kevin Sutter
Gesendet: Freitag, 22. November 2019 15:02
An: jakartaee-platform developer discussions
Betreff: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Continue semantic versioning discussion...

In the words of Bill Shannon, let's put this "discussion to bed"...  :-)

Thanks for the discussion.  I also spoke with BJ (he brought up the item about the package versioning).  He agreed that it was not necessary to reset the package version to 1.0.0.  We can start the package versioning at any number.  His main interest is that we continue to increment the versions according to the rules of semantic versioning.  And, since we have stated our interest in that goal since the start, I think we're in good shape.

Based on all of this input, here's the proposal.  I won't claim it's a "decision" until Tuesday's meeting since it was left over agenda item.

1.  Spec level versioning.  Due to the change from javax.* to jakarta.*, all of the individual Jakarta components will need to increase their major version for the Spec (x.y) and API (x.y.z).

Using JPA as an example, this would require a new entry in the maven repo for a 3.0.0 release of the API, which would have the following coordinates:

<!--
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/jakarta.persistence/jakarta.persistence-api-->
<dependency>
   <groupId>jakarta.persistence</groupId>
   <artifactId>jakarta.persistence-api</artifactId>
   <version>3.0.0</version>
</dependency>

2.  Package level versioning.
 The exported package names in the MANIFEST.MF should also be increased to the new major version.

Again, using JPA as an example, the MANIFEST.MF for JPA 3.0.0 would look something like this:

Export-Package: jakarta.persistence.metamodel;version="3.0.0",jakarta.persis
tence;uses:="jakarta.persistence.criteria,jakarta.persistence.metamodel,jav
ax.persistence.spi";version="3.0.0",jakarta.persistence.criteria;uses:="j
akarta.persistence,jakarta.persistence.metamodel";version="3.0.0",jakarta.per
sistence.spi;uses:="jakarta.persistence,javax.sql";version="3.0.0"

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: