Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] "voting" privileges

Lots of good discussion...  Thank you for all of the input!  I'm just taking the last reply from Bill as a starting point.  But, I will try to take into account all of the other input.

First the punch line...  As a few people have pointed out, the Platform project is where the "tough decisions" will be made concerning the overall Jakarta EE Platform and associated Releases.  Each of the participants on the Platform project (leads and committers) need to represent the Platform as a whole.  They need to take into account the views and opinions of the various Components that feed into Platform.  So, my view is that we stick with the original idea from last week's Platform call and the "voting" privileges will be limited to the committers on the Platform project.  As Bill points out, this will all be done in an open, transparent manner so that we can be held accountable for actions deemed inconsistent with the larger community's viewpoint.

To that end, I looked at the make up of the Platform project.  It's kind of unique since we have six project leads -- one from each major vendor supporting Jakarta EE.  We also had Ivar as an independent lead, but he has since moved to the Eclipse Foundation.  So far, we have agreed that Ivar should continue in this role.

The more interesting stat is the make up of the Committers on the Platform project.  Including the leads...
  • 1 Committer -- Tomitribe, Payara, Fujitsu, Eclipse Foundation, Independent (Werner)
  • 2 Committers -- Red Hat, IBM
  • 3 Committers -- Oracle

It's a little heavy at the top.  My take is that we should get an additional Committer for Tomitribe, Payara, and Fujitsu.  And, we should get at least one more independent Committer.  And, maybe Oracle should drop off one Committer?  That would more even the playing field, especially as we're going through this Jakarta EE 9 roadmap and delivery exercise.  (We would leave the EF with a single Committer/Lead with Ivar.)

One other clarification...  Our Platform Dev calls are open for anybody to attend.  You do not have to be a lead or committer to attend and participate on these calls.  We had several non-committers attend our call last week.  As an example, Carlos Andres De La Roaswas an excellent voice on our discussion points.  We have our next call tomorrow (Nov 19)...
https://www.eclipse.org/lists/jakartaee-platform-dev/msg00863.html

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: