Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Java SE 8 or 11 for Jakarta EE 9?

How can a vendor say its product is Jakarta EE and Java 11 compatible without being able to run the TCK on it? ;)

In my opinion, Java 11 should be the minimum required version, but specs and TCK) must stay compatible with Java 8, strongly suggesting (but not mandating) products to support both versions. Existing vendors will support them both anyway, as they already have clients using Java 8 which need to keep their applications running. But from a marketing perspective the move would be a step forward.

In the end nothing will change but the announcement.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 3:54 PM Steve Millidge (Payara) <steve.millidge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The biggest challenge may be getting the TCKs to run on JDK 11 rather than the apis. Has anybody tried this yet or has a handle on how big the effort?

Steve

From: jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Scott Stark
Sent: 04 November 2019 14:49
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Java SE 8 or 11 for Jakarta EE 9?

We should support both 8 and 11 with 8 being optional, meaning you don't need to run the TCKs under 8 to be certified.

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 8:30 PM Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since we're trying to nail down the Jakarta EE 9 content before early December, I'm going to start a few separate threads to discuss the major topics.

Should Jakarta EE 9 keep Java SE 8 as the minimum, or should we move to Java SE 11?

Note, even if we decide to move to Java SE 11 as the minimum, this does not mean that we will require JPMS.  We're only talking about the runtime support.  Also, even if we decide to stick with Java SE 8 as the minimum, compatible implementations could support any version of Java SE 8 and beyond.

Java SE 8 Pros

  • Consistent with Java EE 8 and Jakarta EE 8.  Limits migration concerns.
  • No need to provide the "missing" Java EE technologies that were removed from Java SE 11.
  • Still has a long support cycle (2025?).

Java SE 11 Pros

  • Latest and greatest LTS release for Java.

As you can see, I'm having a tough time justifying the move to Java SE 11 -- especially with all of the required work for Jakarta EE 9, namely the jakarta namespace change.