From:        Scott Stark <starksm64@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        11/04/2019 09:49
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Java SE 8 or 11 for Jakarta EE 9?
Sent by:        jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

We should support both 8 and 11 with 8 being optional, meaning you don't need to run the TCKs under 8 to be certified.

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 8:30 PM Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since we're trying to nail down the Jakarta EE 9 content before early December, I'm going to start a few separate threads to discuss the major topics.

Should Jakarta EE 9 keep Java SE 8 as the minimum, or should we move to Java SE 11?

Note, even if we decide to move to Java SE 11 as the minimum, this does not mean that we will require JPMS.  We're only talking about the runtime support.  Also, even if we decide to stick with Java SE 8 as the minimum, compatible implementations could support any version of Java SE 8 and beyond.

Java SE 8 Pros
  • Consistent with Java EE 8 and Jakarta EE 8.  Limits migration concerns.
  • No need to provide the "missing" Java EE technologies that were removed from Java SE 11.
  • Still has a long support cycle (2025?).

Java SE 11 Pros
  • Latest and greatest LTS release for Java.
As you can see, I'm having a tough time justifying the move to Java SE 11 -- especially with all of the required work for Jakarta EE 9, namely the jakarta namespace change.

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect
e-mail:
sutter@xxxxxxxxxx    Twitter:  @kwsutter
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: