Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Oracle's position on Jakarta EE 9

The key change for Jakarta EE 9 is the namespace change.

Pruning reduces the amount of work to be done there.

I don't expect to add any completely new specifications, but if it can be done with minimal impact on the other work it's worth considering.

Jakarta EE 9 may not be the right time to add new profiles, mostly because of the TCK work required to support new profiles.

I would hope that API enhancements would be modest.

I won't be surprised if the community decides not to specify backwards compatibility.

Whether you name the releases 9, 10, 11, 12 or 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4 doesn't really matter.  The issue is how you decide the content of the releases.  Are the releases date driven or content driven, or some combination?  We haven't really decided a general approach, and it might be different for each release.  It's quite clear that the community prefers releases more frequently than what was done for Java EE, so I'm assuming a 6 - 12 month time frame, which likely constrains the amount of content that can be included.

It took a lot of effort to get out a release that had no API changes at all, so I don't think we yet know enough to predict how long it will take to produce a Jakarta EE 9 release even with just some minimal set of changes.

I guess we need more community input on the date vs. content tradeoffs.  Do we decide what we want and then it takes as long as it takes?  Or do we drive to a particular date and scale the content accordingly?