Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Java EE Guardians Statement on Oracle/Eclipse Agreement

I've been kindly asked to provide my 2 cents. So let's do it ...

Big bang vs incremental: from a user perspective, I recommend the big bang approach. It would strongly mark the transition and make things more consistent. I'm afraid an incremental approach would lead to confusion and would not help making Jakarta EE a first-class solution in the dev community.

Jakarta EE 9 should focus on that naming transition and be delivered ASAP in 2019 to send a strong and positive signal to the user community.

MicroProfile vs Jakarta EE : including MicroProfile core specifications (the stable part) into Jakarta EE should be the next step after the naming transition: Jakarta 9.1 or Jakarta 10. Ideally, this should happen end of 2019 or early 2010.

In the long run, I think that MicroProfile should remain as an incubator to quickly start new specification proposals in "draft  and innovative mode". Only consistent and stable MicroProfile specifications should become part of Jakarta EE.

Others should stay independent specifications, kind of extensions to the Jakarta EE core platform.

This approach would enables a rich ecosystem:

- a stable core Jakarta EE platform,
- MicroProfile specifications use as extensions to that core platform.

Hope it helps.

--
Jean-François James
Atos Worldline