[jakartaee-platform-dev] javax.inject

I've talked to Bob Lee about javax.inject (JSR-330).
He is *not* willing to move it to Eclipse.

Our choices are to either use it as a dependency, and thus require
Jakarta EE vendors to accept the JCP spec license for JSR-330,
or to fork it.

I believe we should fork it.

There is no spec document, only javadocs.  The API classes, implementation,
and TCK are all Apache licensed.  I've confirmed that there are no legal
issues at Eclipse with us forking it.

For Jakarta EE 8 we would need a copy of the API classes available under
the Apache license, and javadocs available under the Eclipse Foundation
Specification License.  Likewise, we would need a copy of the TCK available
under the Apache license and a version of the TCK available under the
Eclipse Foundation TCK License.  And of course we would need to create or
choose a specification project to hold these artifacts.

javax.inject is the foundation of CDI.  I would strongly recommend that
these artifacts be managed by the (to be created) Jakarta CDI spec project,
and that *Red Hat* do the work to fork this API into the CDI project.

For Jakarta EE 9, I think the Jakarta CDI spec project should consider
subsuming the javax.inject->jakarta.inject API into the CDI spec, and
Red Hat should consider subsuming the implementation into the CDI
implementation project.

Comments?

In particular, does Red Hat support this plan?

Back to the top