From:        Kevin Sutter <kwsutter@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc:        Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        11/28/2018 03:45 PM
Subject:        Jakarta EE Platform project kickoff

Hi,
I see that we have 22 subscribers to this -dev mailing list.  That's a pretty good number considering we only have 12 committers (and six of them are project leads)...  :-)

One item that has come up recently on the Jakarta EE Steering Committee calls is what group will provide overall leadership and direction for what used to be known as the "Java EE Platform"?  After some discussion, it's looking like this Jakarta EE Platform project will be providing that direction.  (This is not a "done deal" yet...  This hasn't been finalized by the Steering Committee yet, but it's looking promising.)

To that end, I thought I would at least start an email thread and get some discussions started from an organization viewpoint.  Since there has been zero activity with this particular group thus far, our mailing list archive is virtually empty.  So, we're starting with a clean slate.  I'm thinking this single email mailing list will be sufficient for our initial conversations.  If this gets to be too unwieldy, we can entertain a forum or google group of some type.  Or, maybe multiple email lists.  But, for now, I suggest we just stick with this one email list.

We don't even have a github repo since there was no code per se to transfer from Oracle.  I'd also suggest that we get a github repo created so that we have an issue tracking mechanism, if nothing else.  Eventually, I would assume we would have some type of "code" -- whether it's actual code or testcases or documentation.  And, having an Issue tracking mechanism is a plus for the work items that will eventually be coming our way.

If any of you have additional insights on prospective committers for this Platform project (
https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/ee4j.jakartaee-platform/who), we should start entertaining those ideas and possibly nominating people to the team.

It's kind of strange to have six project leads...  The PMC did this because we couldn't decide who should lead this project.  So, we figured it only made sense to add all of the PMC members as a placeholder.  When this project became "real", we could deal with this project leadership at that time.  We don't have to make any changes yet, but we should start thinking about narrowing the number of project leads. Normally, an Eclipse project has 1 or maybe 2 project leads.  Having six is out of the ordinary...

That's enough for the initial note...

-- Kevin Sutter

Back to the top