|Re: [jakartaee-examples-dev] How Can I Help?|
_______________________________________________Thank you Manfred for the feedback!
Ken are you still thinking of setting up a Zoom meeting soon?
Looking forward to helping out!
Thank you,Jason Pollard
From: jakartaee-examples-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-examples-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Manfred Riem <Manfred.Riem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 11:42 AM
To: jakartaee-examples developer discussions <jakartaee-examples-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-examples-dev] How Can I Help?
FYI background on the project
- Each example deals with one concept
- Each example only uses Jakarta EE and Java SE APIs
- All documentation will be in Git
- An example is NOT to be end to end
- An example is also NOT to be pulling in other non Jakarta EE frameworks
- All examples are targeting Java 8 until the new release of Jakarta EE release that would require a later version of Java (at which point a branch would be created to retain Java 8 based examples)
- The repository is IDE agnostic
- The repository is Maven based
- All examples should be buildable out of the box with just Maven (by doing just mvn clean install)
- A wiki will not be used
- The project is looking for a maintainer as I do not have the bandwidth for it
- The application servers targeted should support Jakarta EE 8
Original project donor
These are all excellent questions and one that I hope we can address by meeting up on Zoom in the next week or two. I think the first task is to become familiar with the repository. I just published a blog on how to use it. You can find it at https://www.omnijava.com/2020/04/25/how-to-work-with-the-eclipse-ee4j-jakarta-ee-examples/
From: jakartaee-examples-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-examples-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jason Pollard <jpollard91@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 3:13:01 PM
To: jakartaee-examples-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-examples-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jakartaee-examples-dev] How Can I Help?
I am happy to help with the Jakarta EE samples. I am a Java/DevOps developer (I have been developing in multiple languages and frameworks for about 16 years), I really enjoy the JEE ecosystem, and I have been looking for an open-source project to contribute to.
I have a few questions, since I am new to contributing to Eclipse projects (and this project).
- What are the current goals or roadmap for this project?
- To make the GitHub repo itself more self-contained for understanding the samples, with a wiki, READMEs, etc.?
- To showcase the basics of all the JakartaEE specs/subprojects?
- To provide an entry point for developers new to Jakarta EEs?
- What is the current status of the GitHub repo?
- Are the issues current and valid?
- If so, should we start conversations with these issues, to more fully understand the intent?
- What are the constraints around tooling and versions?
- Should we target only Java 8?
- Are there restrictions on IDEs/editors used, and/or are there "testing" requirements to ensure that samples function correctly across the spectrum of tooling?
- Should we focus on current version minus one for application servers, or is there a list we should target (e.g., in the Maven profiles)?
- Is there anything you would like us to start with first? Tests, docs, wiki, new code?
That's probably enough questions for now (and I don't need answers to all of them to get started 🙂). I'm looking forward to helping out!
From the cornfields of Illinois, USA
jakartaee-examples-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe from this list, visit https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/jakartaee-examples-dev
Back to the top