From: "Steve Millidge (Payara)" <steve.millidge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/20/20 7:42 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Jakarta EE Working Group <jakarta.ee-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakarta.ee-wg] Budget question

Hi

I want to pick up on a general point here and I am not arguing that every line item of the budget shouldn’t be public (except personal data) or that budget setting shouldn’t be rigorous, transparent and accountable. However I want to set in context a couple of aspects.

First Eclipse Foundation is a small not for profit foundation with a $6.9M turnover (source: 2020 Annual Community Report | The Eclipse Foundation) the salaries of Eclipse Foundation staff aren’t magically already paid for doing their job. The income for the Eclipse Foundation predominantly comes from membership fees and Working Group fees and therefore a portion of the working group fees will inevitably be indirectly paying for Eclipse staff.

Second the budget of the Jakarta EE WG is set by the WG members at the steering committee/marketing committee as these are the people that actually pay the working group fees. The level of the WG membership fees is determined by the budget and the fees are scaled by organisation size with $0 for small participant members and others (jakarta_ee_working_group_participation_agreement.pdf (eclipse.org)).

Do we have the power to reduce the budget? Yes we do?

Could volunteers do some of the things paid for by the working group? I’m sure they could but asking the Eclipse Foundation to do them guarantees they get done without imposing an unfair burden on an unpaid volunteer. I think the working group contracting the services from the Eclipse Foundation actually preserves vendor neutrality otherwise there is a danger that the company with the most resources could staff a lot of the “volunteer” positions.

Could we contract different providers for some of the services provided by the EF? I imagine we could if someone wanted to spend the time to do the economic analysis of alternatives.

I am all for value for money, openness and rigour but I also don’t think something as important as Jakarta EE should be ran on a shoe-string or purely rely on unpaid volunteers. There is therefore a balance to be struck.

Steve