Re: [jakarta.ee-wg] Budget question

Michael -

Comments inline.

Will

On 12/17/20 10:41 AM, Michael Minella wrote:
Tanja and Will,

Thank you for your docs. However, I have a few questions:
  1. Will's doc (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Ap6yjyUnmJ2X6VpHul2jlVazAEzMU5x/view) shows that the actual spend for 2019 was $1,115,000 against $1,175,000 in revenue leaving a $60k profit. Tanja's doc shows the spend being equal to the revenue leaving zero profit. Is that $60k what was spent in December 2019?

[WAL]Per my email earlier today the presentation link I sent on Dec 14 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Ap6yjyUnmJ2X6VpHul2jlVazAEzMU5x/view ) contained 2019 spend data as of November 2019.  In short the answer to your question is yes.

  1. What is Eclipse Foundation Working Group G&A?

[WAL]See the Eclipse Foundation Working Group Operations Guide at https://www.eclipse.org/org/workinggroups/operations.php

"...The Foundation also imposes a General and Administrative (G&A) fee for all working group spending; the rate for the G&A is established each year by the Foundation."

This standard G&A rate has been incorporated into the Jakarta EE WG budget. From my perspective this covers a host of expenses which are incurred by the Eclipse Foundation that allow multiple working groups, including the Jakarata EE WG, to "plug in" to the Eclipse Foundation services, including well-defined structures like working groups that can be used for collaboration, membership processes, licensing and IP practices, spec processes, etc.   These expenses are allocated to the various working groups supported by the foundation.

  1. Also forgive my ignorance, while I realized that the Jakarta EE WG was going to get a Micro Profile membership (which makes sense for alignment purposes), I didn't realize that nearly 10%  (8% to be exact) of the Jakarta budget would go to fees related to that effort. For companies that are involved in both...it feels like they would end up double paying. What am I missing here?

[WAL]See the attached mail sent to the WG alias recently and copied below:

We have good news from the Jakarta EE Steering Committee for Jakarta EE and MicroProfile, and collaboration across these initiatives.

As part of its CY2021 planning and budgeting process, the Jakarta EE Steering Committee passed the following resolution unanimously during its meeting on November 17:

    WHEREAS, the Jakarta EE Steering Committee believes the successful launch and broad participation of all the Jakarta EE Strategic Members in the MicroProfile Working Group is beneficial to both the shorter-term and longer-term viability and success of Jakarta EE working group; and

    WHEREAS, each of the Jakarta EE Strategic Members has indicated an intention to join, or has already joined, the MicroProfile Working Group by no later than the renewal date of their 2021 renewal; therefore

    RESOLVED, provided that all Jakarta EE Strategic Members join the MicroProfile Working Group no later than the renewal date of their 2021 renewal, the Jakarta EE Steering Committee agrees to allocate up to $110,000 of Jakarta EE 2021 budget to cover the 2021 MicroProfile Working Group fees of each of the Jakarta EE Strategic members, and requests the Eclipse Management Organization to take such actions as make this effective; and

    RESOLVED, that any new member that joins Jakarta EE as a Strategic member up and until December 31, 2021, shall have their 2021 participation fees in MicroProfile Working Group, assuming they join, be covered by their 2021 Jakarta EE Working Group participation fees.

IBM, Red Hat and Tomitribe are already members of both the Jakarta EE Working Group and the MicroProfile Working Group.   By this resolution, the remaining strategic members of the Jakarta EE Working Group - Fujitsu, Oracle and Payara - are all indicating their intention to join the MicroProfile Working Group as well.

This decision represents a unanimous endorsement for the joint success of both the Jakarta EE and MicroProfile initiatives, with collaboration, common membership and funding across them.   With Jakarta EE 9 delivery imminent, and the strong statement of support for the newly formed MicroProfile Working Group, we're poised to accomplish great things for Jakarta EE and MicroProfile in 2021.

Note that the strategic members of the Jakarta EE WG have joined, or are joining, the MPWG.   This is different from the Jakarta EE WG itself joining the MPWG.  Note also that the strategic members of the Jakarta EE WG contribute $1.250M of the $1.308M Jakarta EE WG membership fees.

  1. Finally "Steering Committee Contingency". To someone outside this process, that sounds like some form of buffer in case things pop up through out the year.
    1. Is my understanding of this expense correct?
    2. If it is, I fully support the idea of having some form of fund to handle unexpected expenses however the fact that we seem to be spending it completely each year makes me think that it's not really a contingency fund and something that should be called out transparently.
[WAL]Your understanding "in case things pop up through out the year" is generally correct, but we did not spend the contingency fund completely in CY2020 so that aspect of your comments above is not correct.  And we do have some known contingencies in mind.   The Steering Committee agreed to hold back this contingency for 2021 with known potential for Web Development, joint activities with MPWG, and Spec Committee contingency requirements, but other contingencies may surface for which these funds could be used, as approved by the Steering Committee.
Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide!

Thanks,
Michael