[jakarta.ee-wg] Minutes of the Sept 8, 2020 Jakarta EE Steering Committee meeting

Hello -

Minutes of the Sept 8, 2020 Jakarta Steering Committee Meeting are provided below.

Jakarta EE Steering Committee minutes are regularly published at the following location:

https://jakarta.ee/meeting_minutes/#steering_committee

These minutes will be published at the above link.  Minutes of the Marketing and Specification Committees are available at this location as well.

Will

Minutes of the September 8, 2020 Jakarta EE Steering Committee Meeting

Please refer to your meeting invitation for the zoom password.

Attendees:

Fujitsu: Kenji Kazumura

IBM:  Dan Bandera, Kevin Sutter, Neil Patterson

Oracle: Will Lyons, Ed Bratt, Dmitry Kornilov

Payara: Steve Millidge

Red Hat: John Clingan, Scott Stark

Tomitribe: David Blevins, Cesar Hernandez

Enterprise Member representative: Scott Wang

Participant member representative: Not present

Committer member representative: Arjan Tjims

(Quorum is 5 -- simple-majority or one-half of the members (if even number) must be present)

Eclipse: Tanja Obradovic, Shabnam Mayel, Ivar Grimstad, Paul White, Paul Buck

Review of Minutes from Prior Meetings

Minutes of the August 25 meeting were approved.

Minutes of the September 1 meeting will be reviewed next time.

Jakarta EE 9 Spec Project Status

  • Spec status summary

  • Spec project board (new column for links to TCK and GF board)

  • TCK issues

  • Schedule

  • Specs open for ballot

  • September 1 status summary

      • Three specs are DONE

        • Jakarta Bean Validation

        • Jakarta Dependency Injection

        • Jakarta Batch (clarify process of absent vote)

      • Four specs are in Ballot

        • Jakarta Activation

        • Jakarta Authorization

        • Jakarta Mail

        • Jakarta Contexts and Dependency Injection (CDI)

      • 10 Specs are close

        • Jakarta Annotations

        • Jakarta Persistence

        • Jakarta Web Services Metadata

        • Jakarta Interceptors

        • Jakarta JSON Processing

        • Jakarta Servlet

        • Jakarta SOAP with Attachments

        • Jakarta Authentication

        • Jakarta Debugging Support for Other Languages

        • Jakarta JSON Binding

      • General actions that will help the above and the remaining projects move forward

        • Process for closing ballots if all votes have not been recorded - awaiting email from Scott W.  Will discuss at spec committee

        • David checked for obvious “javax namespace” errors in specs (not in PRs themselves)

        • Losing track of uncompleted checklist items - spec committee

        • Full engagement from all spec leads and mentors

        • Have a set of specs for which there is no PR:

  • Sept 8 status

      • Current spec status:

      • Background on Considerations for selecting a new GA date

        • We have agreed delivery of Jakarta EE 9 on or before Livestream date is important

        • Livestream will be scheduled based on our target GA date

        • We have agreed that once a new Livestream date is announced, we will not change the Livestream date

        • Therefore, we should select the new Jakarta EE 9 GA date target with reasonable confidence

        • Must decide on a GA data and Livestream date (pair) by Sept 11

        • It is possible there may be more ability to demo compatible full/web profile implementations if the date is later, and perhaps implementations with individual specs (e.g. Servlet)

        • It is also acceptable to do a “dark release” prior to Dec 8

      • Agreed to schedule Livestream on Dec 8

        • We will not change this date

        • Marketing and press activity would target this date

      • Agreed to set a GA target for Nov 20

        • All Specs in ballot NLT Nov 6

        • Earlier completion is acceptable

      • Discussed whether we should have another milestone release for the GlassFish

        • Will review this when we have TCK results fully passing

Eclipse GlassFish 6.0 Status - Steve Millidge/Eliot Martin

Jakarta EE Advocate feedback on JetBrains webinar - Ivar Grimstad

  • Ivar presented the slide deck below on Aug 25

  • Slide deck

  • We have feedback from the Jakarta EE Ambassadors on content

  • We have community voices doc David collected in the past

  • Current technical direction on jakarta.ee

  • Ivar is asking for higher level “release” direction vs. “technical” direction on individual specs:

    • Release cadence

    • LTS model

    • Number of profiles

    • Ability for component specs to release independently

    • There is a history in this community of leaders establishing release direction - need an overall narrative

  • Dan suggested we could indicate items/themes we would consider for future releases

  • We need to align this cadence with what could be absorbed by vendors and their customers

  • It was noted that for past EE 6 releases we conducted surveys

  • Such surveys could include requests for feedback on release cadence, etc

  • Ivar agreed to guide us through a structured discussions on this topic over the next several weeks - Ivar will come back over next 1-2 weeks

Email thread: "Jakarta EE Working Group Charter requires attention] Committee Calls "private" vs "public" + Misc"

  • Some alternatives we agreed to:

    • Agreed: Could publish minutes to Working Group lists (Jakarta EE Working Group <jakarta.ee-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx>) could help with text into mail

    • Perhaps do scheduled meetings publicly - will start with J4K meeting

    • Other committees encouraged to do the same

Tooling

Marketing Committee Update and Jakarta EE Update Calls

  • JakartaOne Livestream 2020 (virtual)

    • Will be scheduled December 8th per decision above

    • Jakarta EE 9 Full Release Marketing Plan Sheet

  • Compatible Products Page (update-requested by the Specification Committee (EF))

    • Reviewed the latest mockup - Christie Witt (Eclipse Foundation)

      • Logo would be linked to either product page or download page

      • Versions link would be to TCK results

      • New button - Compatibility Requests - link to Github issues

    • Based on discussions, Christie to mock up a combined approach for a phase 2 look and feel - mid-October.

  • Why Jakarta EE?

    • Marketing committee - will build a “Why Jakarta EE” messaging/topic page - positioning value proposition in a consumable manner

    • Jakarta EE Roadmap would also be covered as an offshoot of this

      • Need to have a visually appealing view into directions

      • Design from marketing committee while content comes through other committees

  • Jakarta EE Update Calls

  • 2020 JakartaOne Livestream Events Doc

  • J4K conference - Oct 13-14

    • Virtual Community Booth for members to sign up

    • Will have 30 mins public Steering Committee meeting as part of the conference on Oct 13 (same time slot)

    • Will have the October Update Call on October 14th from virtual booth

Jakarta EE 2020 Operational Plan (did not discuss)

Back to the top