Re: [jakarta.ee-wg] Minutes of Jakarta EE Steering Committee Meeting July 31

Hi,

Linked Google Docs are all private. Any chance to make them public?

Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero

El mar., 28 ago. 2018 9:20, <will.lyons@xxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

Minutes of Jakarta EE Steering Committee Meeting July 31

Attendees:

     Fujitsu: Kenji Kazumura
     IBM: Kevin Sutter
     Oracle: Will Lyons
     Payara: Steve Millidge
     Red Hat: Scott Stark
     Tomitribe: Richard Monson-Hafael
     Martijn Verburg
     Ivar Grimstad

     Eclipse: Mike Milinkovich

Review of Minutes from Prior Meeting

Minutes from July 17 meeting were approved.

Minutes of July 24 sent out earlier today - we will review next week.
Review of Mike Milinkovich's e-mail (attached)
See attachment
- Oracle supports the notion of enabling Jakarta EE 8 branding based on passing the contributed Jakarta EE TCK tests.   We believe we should continue to work on the Java TM agreement and other agreements to enable the Java EE technologies to evolve.

- Tomitribe would like to see the existing Java EE specs evolve, including using the javax namespace.
Red Hat is concerned about using the Jakarta EE 8 branding in a manner that may give a false sense of security about future evolution.

- Payara agrees that evolving the javax namespace is essential.

- IBM is OK with using the Jakarta EE 8 branding, but no further branding of future Jakarta EE versions without evolution of the EE technology.

- Fujitsu is OK using contributed tests to obtain Jakarta EE 8 compatibility, but not Java EE 8 tests.   Jakarta EE 9 must including evolution of the "EE" technologies.

- Mike solicited comments on the notion of creating a spec process that would enable incorporation of "other" (non Java EE) technologies, prior to enabling a spec process that extends what we currently have.

- IBM's reaction was that the community requirement is focused on extending what we have vs. incorporating "other" (non Java EE) technologies.

- Tomitribe generally agreed with the IBM response.

Oracle will review with its Legal department a) whether there would be any objections to Eclipse Foundation enabling use of the Jakarta EE 8 brand based on passing the contributed Jakarta EE TCK tests, and b) are the IP rights granted to the end users of the technology.

Budget for 2019

Review the following:

Proposed Budget summary

     Marketing Program Spend:                $   985,000
     Build and Test Infra:                          $   125,000
     Legal Fees:                                        $   100,000
     Headcount Spend:                             $1,245,000

     Total                                                 $2,455,000

Jakarta EE Working Group Funding Proposal

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jWc531d1VxsW88JERrCLOEzxvs-ILVhqa6b4C0N6Nl0/edit#heading=h.30qclvx9b86v
Straw Man 2019 Program Plan

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3cmx8ukDfcbBIo1uEWZ_VM_0kw0akF_YLzeZ_U7Qwg/edit#slide=id.g3e472e64b2_2_0
Marketing Committee Draft Budget

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iJ1nid_rTCz0lqgQJTz-lFkVeLsPzVBgb-edsbPCTmI/edit#gid=0
Original SWAG at a 2019 Budget

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZziY5sABRDHCgFPox9jXXCJm1LJrf8rF0SLvL21rc9Y/edit

Apportionment Discussion

How will funding be apportioned among members.

Doodle Poll for Budget Meeting

https://doodle.com/poll/f54w2eiap9hciyp4
Meeting will be scheduled Th 10-11 AM.

The majority of the meeting time was spent on the topics above.  There was not enough time to cover the topics below.

Spec Committee Update

       No time for detailed updates

Marketing Committee Update

     No time for detailed updates

PMC Update
No time for detailed updates

Recruitment of new members; Elections
Open issue - will there be an additional PMC representative on the Steering Committee.

No time for detailed discussion of this topic.

Status of Oracle Contributions
No time for detailed updates

     The high-level status of EE4J projects is unchanged from last week
         •        39 project proposals have been created
         •        36 project committers and resources have been provisioned
         •        26 of these projects have initial contributions provided to the Eclipse IP team
         •        25 of these projects have the initial contribution pushed to the Git Repository

    Oracle has another "batch" of contributions in Oracle's internal approval process.

    Any update from Tanja and Ed regarding delivery schedule? Tanja's link from last time pasted below.

     https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ZoEf7lvzBOB1PIq7q7JdFbTvTlAgzCkvIiEDH-CYJL4/edit

    Topic from prior meeting - discuss what to market based on Java EE 8 certification of Eclipse GlassFish.

Planned Jakarta EE certifications
No time for detailed updates
     What other app servers, besides GlassFish can we expect on Jakarta EE 8 - get input from Steering Committee.
         Wildfly - name clarification needed from RedHat ?
         IBM Liberty
         Fujitsu
         Payara - ?
         Weblogic - ?
         TomiTribe - ?

Legal Documents
No time for detailed updates
     All agreements currently in Oracle Legal review.   Hoping to progress on TCK Agreement ASAP.