Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
[] Jakarta EE Spec Committee Approved Meeting Minutes - December 16th, 2020

Jakarta EE Spec Committee - December 16th, 2020

Attendees (present in bold):

Kenji Kazumura - Fujitsu

Dan Bandera - IBM - Kevin Sutter, Tom Watson (guest)

Ed Bratt - Oracle - Dmitry Kornilov

Andrew Pielage - Payara - Matt Gill

Scott Stark - Red Hat - Mark Little, Scott Marlow

David Blevins - Tomitribe - Jean-Louis Monteiro, Cesar Hernandez

Ivar Grimstad - PMC Representative

Marcelo Ancelmo - Participant Member - Martijn Verburg

Werner Keil - Committer Member

Scott (Congquan) Wang - Primeton - Enterprise Member 

Eclipse Foundation: Tanja Obradovic, Paul Buck (chair)

References: JESP, Spec Committee page including approved meeting minutes

Past business / action items:

  • Approval is requested for the meeting minutes from the December 2nd meeting as drafted - Approved.


  • Ongoing tracking of individual specs and their progress through the JESP (including innovative updates), see spreadsheet.

  • Assigning a mentor - Draft text to send to the spec project leads (and the jakarta specifications discussion mailing list?) is here.

Action: Paul to send out to spec leads list and spec discussion list

  • Proposed deadline for Plan Reviews for potential inclusion in Jakarta EE 9.1 - January 31, 2021. 

    • 9.1 Platform Project theme is to keep it as simple as possible

    • Decision is to declare 01/31/21 as the deadline for individual specs to be in Plan Review to be considered for inclusion

    • Platform Spec for 9.1 to be in to Plan Review by end of January or early February

Actions: Kevin to send an email to the mailing list to establish the parameters for the release and then afterwards Ivar to blog

  • The EE4J PMC proposes that the Spec Committee appoints a sub-committee to author a “TCK Splitting Guide”. 

    • The guide should at the least include guidelines regarding:

      • Documentation

      • Templates

      • Rules/restrictions

    • Those that are asking  for TCK refactoring are encouraged to get involved

For reference see Scott M’s email to the Platform Project list [12/16/20]

Action: Draft an outline and send an email to the project lead mailing list to call for volunteers to help write the guide. [Scott Stark + Dmitry Kornilov]

  • Idea from Dan Bandera - Start an inventory of optional features and where implemented. Use to progress the discussion held on certifying optional features on November 4th.

    • Create a spreadsheet to record and send to spec projects

Explored further in December 16th call:

- Need to know what the optional features are so the union can be derived
- See the table in the Platform Spec for reference

Action: Dan and Scott Stark  to author a discussion paper to focus the discussion. Others to provide input

  • 2021 Program Plan Spec Committee topic Follow-up - Plan initiatives to Simplify the Release Process

    • Notes from previous discussions are recorded here

Proposal: Review notes and pull out the top items for implementation in 2021

  • Jakarta EE 9 retrospective w/ input from the Spec Committee and projects

Proposal: Create a google doc to solicit input and host an open call in January

  • Note: First spec committee call in the new year is on Wednesday, January 13th

The following items was not covered and will be added to the agenda for next meeting 

  • For next year’s review the member is good standing requirements for purposes of voting

  • Werner Keil: It’s not extremely urgent either, but have some of you noticed Github Discussions: is an example where I activated it for the RI of JSR 385. I think for some items it could fit better than the issue although the technical nature is very similar but there are types like question, idea or (Agile) “Show and Tell” that sound very appealing. 

  • Scott Marlow: Any feedback on  

Back to the top