Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
[] Jakarta EE Spec Committee Approved Meeting Minutes - December 2nd, 2020

Jakarta EE Spec Committee - December 2nd, 2020

Attendees (present in bold):

Kenji Kazumura - Fujitsu

Dan Bandera - IBM - Kevin Sutter, Tom Watson (guest)

Ed Bratt - Oracle - Dmitry Kornilov

Andrew Pielage - Payara - Matt Gill

Scott Stark - Red Hat - Mark Little, Scott Marlow

David Blevins - Tomitribe - Jean-Louis Monteiro, Cesar Hernandez

Ivar Grimstad - PMC Representative

Marcelo Ancelmo - Participant Member - Martijn Verburg

Werner Keil - Committer Member

Scott (Congquan) Wang - Primeton - Enterprise Member 

Eclipse Foundation: Tanja Obradovic, Paul Buck (chair)

References: JESP, Spec Committee page including approved meeting minutes

Past business / action items:

  • Approval is requested for the meeting minutes from the November 18th meeting as drafted - Approved.


  • Wrap up items for the Jakarta EE 9 release that require the Spec Committee’s attention

No further action required from the Spec Committee

  • Follow-up on creating a 2021 plan to Simplify the Release Process

    • Notes from the discussion were recorded here

    • Slide for the Steering Committee and Program Plan is here.

Item deferred from the November 18th call to provide additional time for offline investigation

See notes in linked document for updates.

  • Continue discussion on Spec Committee guidance to projects on how to initiate a Plan Review - See November 18th minutes for reference

The following is the proposed and adopted process for all Spec Process reviews (Communicate to Proj Leads & update Operations Guide. Paul to send the text below to the spec comm list):

    • 1. Spec project to create PR

    • 2. Spec project notifies the Spec Comm on the discussion list that their PR is ready 

    • 3. Committee chair to respond and assign the “next” mentor from the randomized list. Further considerations:

      • David to re-create a randomized list from the committee member roster [done]

      • Substitutions can be made by alternate spec committee member volunteering for a particular spec

      • If the committee member is active in the spec project, they will be pushed down to next spec

      • Required: Breaking changes must be declared/backward compatibility, and the JVM level/version

      • The Platform Spec may have requirements for specs that want to be included in an upcoming Platform Spec, to be discussed in the Platform Project

      • Ivar to add to sample Plan Review PR -

  • Assign Mentor and kick off release ballot for Jakarta MVC 2.0

    • Assigned to Scott Stark via the above process

  • Idea from Dan: Start an inventory of optional features and where implemented. Use to progress the discussion held on certifying optional features on November 4th.

    • Create a spreadsheet to record and send to spec projects

To be explored further in call scheduled for December 16th

  • Reminder: Our next and final call for 2020 is scheduled for December 16th, and our first call in the new year is on January 13th

The following items was not covered and will be added to the agenda for next meeting

  • The EE4J PMC proposes that the spec committee appoints a sub-committee to author a “TCK Splitting Guide”. The guide should at the least include guidelines regarding:

    • Documentation

    • Templates

    • Rules/restrictions

Back to the top