Re: [jakarta.ee-community] [jakartaee-ambassadors] Re: [starter-dev] Full vs Platform

Hi all,

Please let me share my thoughts also in the hopes it helps in getting this discussion solved.

I think the concept of a Profile is a clearly defined concept within Jakarta EE. A Profile in general represents/bundles a selection of Specifications that vendors can use to scope and verify their implementation with. We currently have three official, well-defined Profiles in Jakarta EE:
- Full Profile
- Web Profile
- Core Profile
Let's keep this terminology and use it appropriately in the right context. So in the Starter, when asked which Profile is going to be used, simply use these names. No addition of anything that says Platform or whatever, this is a term for a different context. If it's possibly not clear for people what Profiles are as a concept, just add a textual explanation.

Over the past years, lingo using the word Platform has come up and as far as I understand it, is being used as a synonym for the Full Profile. But is it? Is Web Profile not (partially) "the" or "a" Platform? For me, it feels that Jakarta EE is a brand and the technology it represents IS A Platform. Regardless of the Profile being discussed. Because whatever Profile a vendor's implementation is built with, as a developer, you can build applications ON this implementation as a Platform. Again, this is my own perception.

To conclude, I think that we need to use the Profiles in the right context and agree on what the term Platform means for all parties involved to understand. Hope this helps.

Edwin