Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Discussion on moving the JSR107 specification (JCache) to JakartaEE

Folks,

I think there is important context to be added here. Including JCache into Java/Jakarta EE is a discussion that has been active for a very long time. This is so much so, that it wound up as a key question in the Java EE 8 survey: https://javaee.github.io/javaee-spec/download/JavaEE8_Community_Survey_Results.pdf. A consistently large number of Java/Jakarta EE developers have expressed interest in this (almost 70% of developers in the survey - see attached). I think we all know the reasons why it didn't happen in Java EE 8 despite these results.

The primary drivers to include JCache I think remain relevant even today:

* A large number of enterprise applications use the technology to boost performance in mission critical applications.

* The application state cache (HTTP sessions, etc) can be offloaded to JCache implementations in the way runtimes like Open Liberty do today: https://openliberty.io/docs/21.0.0.11/reference/feature/sessionCache-1.0.html.

* The JPA second level cache can be offloaded to JCache implementations.

* Yes, it's all relevant for microservices and the cloud to reduce network latency in a highly distributed system. This is why we have things Azure Redis Cache: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cache/.

In addition I think there are the following drivers:

* Bette JCache integration with CDI.

* Bette JCache integration with JTA/JCA.

* Evolving JCache to incorporate reactive concepts (though I would think about standardizing this after seeing how Loom plays out).

Other than the IP and code transfer, I think this is an easy win for Jakarta EE that does not really involve heavy investment. Most of the work I think is basically already done here and there such as by the Payara folks: https://docs.payara.fish/enterprise/docs/documentation/payara-server/jcache/jcache.html and the Data Grid JSR.

Cheers,

Reza Rahman