Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Are there no requirements for Innovation?

Getting back to one of Mihai's original points...
>  Looking at what we have now, it seems to me that all I have to do is take Glassfish, rebrand it and bam: I have my own certified Jakarta EE platform.

Almost all of the Jakarta EE Compatible Implementations are open-source.  So, yes, you could take Glassfish, or Wildfly, or Open Liberty, or ..., rebrand it and bam, you have your own certified Jakarta EE Platform.  But, as the notes in this string have indicated, there is much more to this.  Service and support for your own certified Jakarta EE Platform takes many resources (people and dollars).  If you are looking to add any "missing features" maybe in the area of Security, or Packaging, or Microservices, it will take additional resources.  MicroProfile is a good example of filling this hole of Microservices development.  But, it didn't come cheap.  It took several organizations and individuals to spend a great deal of resource to develop the multiple releases of MicroProfile.  The end result of this effort is that many of the Java EE and Jakarta EE certified implementations have also implemented MicroProfile.  So, innovation is not dead.  It is alive and well, both within and outside of the Jakarta EE walls.

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: