Re: [jakarta.ee-community] [jakarta.ee-wg] Jakarta EE working group committee representatives

Hello Sendil,

Thanks a lot for your wishes.
I leave it to those who were (re)elected into the Steering Committee to describe their responsibilities, but from an Individual perspective (you also sound like an Individual committer or member of the community who considers committing) let me share a few words about the Specification Committee. It is a bit like a specialized  https://wiki.eclipse.org/Architecture_Council for Jakarta EE with a couple of duties the JCP Executive Committee once held for all the Java EE Specs, like voting on new versions of a specification. A few aspects may also be in the Steering Committee, but the Specification Committee is a bit more technical at least to some extent. Having served nearly a decade in the JCP EC (the longest serving elected Individual so far) certainly helped me with that. If you have not been involved in any actual spec not even raising Bug tickets on GitHub, then this would be a good start to gain recognition, because if there are multiple candidates (the first two times we only saw very few, hopefully it'll change over time) people who are already actively involved have a better chance of gaining more votes.

The Marketing Committee seems to have a vacant seat this time in the committer community, but it has other duties, mainly things like picking the best logos or marketing activities during conferences, etc. So unless you work in marketing or PR it may not be for everyone, including myself. I need some of that for my own work, but I am usually not selling my services to prospective customers, hence I also don't feel I could help so much in this committee as in other places like the Spec Committee or the Platform project (which is not subject to these elections, it is a committer type of role, so people should contribute to such project first before they may be elected there by the other members)

Hope that helps and looking forward to hearing more from you,

Werner